Graphic Design

Posts Tagged ‘Zeiss’

120 Film Too Small for Folding Zeiss Ikon Camera?

Recently bought a roll of
Ilford FP4 PLUS 125 ASA Black & White 120 film
Tried to load it to my Zeiss Ikonta 250/2 but it appears to be too small. Not long enough to reach both ends, and it looks as though it won't pass the lens correctly.
Can anyone help? what have I done wrong??


Are you sure 120 is the correct size?

There are a handful of other(obsolete) formats which look similar to 120, but are wider. 116 and 117 are some of the more common ones.

If you don't have the Owner's Manual for this camera you really need to try and find one. Here are some possible sources:



apug.org This site is dedicated to film hence the name: Analog Photography Users Group and you might find someone with a Manual or at least more direction in finding one.

Quite simply you are loading the film wrong. It doesn't pass the lens at all. the camera has the accordion design for focusing onto the film plane which is on the back of the camera body (where the film is loaded across the flat plate and back onto the take up spool).

This is the camera you are referring too: elekm.net/pages/cameras/ikonta520… not a 250-2 as you suggested.

Generally, with 120 film you should be able to get as many as 10 exposures from that camera. You can also use 220 film (longer) with it if you choose to do so.

It's hard to believe that the film is 'not long enough'.

The camera should have a winding device on the right bottom side this should move up and down. To insert an empty spool there you pull it out, insert the empty spool and push it in so that couples with the spool. You can find a picture of the open back as it should look like here:
Scroll down a little.

An empty spool should have been in the camera.
The film goes into the left side of the camera and is not really fixed there.
When taking pictures the film is wound from the left side to the right side. You see the frame no. through the red window on the camera back. After the last picture (you can take 9 pictures in 6×9) you wind the film completely on the taking spool. Then you can open the back and take the spool out. there is a little flap at the end of the film which is gummed like a stamp which you moisten and use it for securing the film on the spool. It should read "exposed". on the left hand side you will see the empty spool which came with the film this is now put to the right hand side to serve as the new taking spool.
If there was no empty spool in the camera you need one. Ask at a photo dealer or a lab that develops 120 film – they should have plenty.

You cannot use 220 film with your camera. 220 film has no protective paper on the back like 120 film has and will be ruined by light entering through the red window. 120 film has the frame numbers printed on the paper backing of the film and you wind on until you see the next number. Normally there show some dots before the numbers so that you can wind slower to position the frame correctly. 220 film has no backing paper and no numbers printed on the back. It can only be used for newer MF cameras which have a different film transport mechanism.

Hope it helps

Do you mean that it is not wide enough? Is this the same roll of film you were asking about earlier that was marked 36 Exp.?

If so, then it is almost certainly 35mm film. Not 120.

This is a link to one of your earlier questions:


, , , , ,